Student Happenings Guidelines
To submit an announcement in accordance with the guidelines below, click Continue and complete the form. W&M Events and TribeLink are available for publicizing events. Learn how to submit events.
Review the guidelines before posting! Submissions that do not adhere to the appropriate parameters may be denied. Contact Jennifer Leung, Associate Director of Student Leadership Development at email@example.com or 221-3300 if you have questions.
- The email is sent twice weekly, on Monday and Thursday (schedule may vary on holidays and when the university is closed, including the summer).
- The email consists of approved announcements submitted on this site plus links to view events on both the TribeLink events calendar and the Student Events category of the W&M Events calendar.
- What is the difference between an "event" and an "announcement"?
- Events occur at a specific date and time (e.g., lectures, performances, info sessions). Events may be submitted to TribeLink and W&M Events for consideration. Learn how to submit events.
- Announcements can include general information or information about activities that are not tied to specific dates (i.e., application deadlines, ticket sales, general audition calls, team sign-ups).
- Announcements in Student Happenings and events appearing in associated calendars are generally open to the campus community and may include:
- lectures, performances, athletic and recreational events
- community service and volunteer opportunities
- special and campus-wide events
- general campus announcements (parking, construction and utilities)
- announcements/sign-ups/deadlines requiring advance ticket sales, reservation or registration
- priority will be given to postings that are open to students and listed by students
- Topics such as the following are not acceptable for Student Happenings:
- announcements for items for sale or rent
- inquiries about items for sale or places for rent
- announcements that are intended for a particular organization or club
- postings for commercial purposes, such as circulating advertising for products
- To increase effectiveness and streamline the email, organizations and departments may be asked to consolidate similar announcements.
- Student Happenings postings are moderated (approved/denied) Monday through Friday by a staff member in Student Leadership Development.
- The moderator reserves the right to modify the content or formatting of any submission for the sake of space, clarity or policy compliance.
- Submissions containing errors or ambiguities will be modified or denied at the discretion of the moderator.
- Event information submitted as an announcement on this site will be denied. Events may be submitted to TribeLink and W&M Events for consideration. Learn how to submit events.
The following deadlines apply to all new submissions, as well as to modifications of approved postings:
- for the Student Happenings issue sent on Monday, submit by noon on Friday
- for the Student Happenings issue sent on Thursday, submit by noon on Tuesday
These deadlines are provided so that subscribers know the day and time a posting must be received to guarantee it will be moderated in time to be included in the next upcoming issue of Student Happenings. The distribution schedule for Student Happenings may deviate from the above schedule due to holidays or when classes are not in session, during breaks and the summer.
- Enter an appropriate Subject (60 character limit) and Message (400 character limit).
- Include contact information and/or an associated website whenever possible so that readers have someone to contact or a website to visit for more information.
- Your announcement will appear once in an upcoming issue. To have it appear again, you must submit a new announcement.
- You may submit an announcement for a given activity four times in a single semester. For the purpose of Student Happenings, semesters run from August 1-December 31, January 1-May 31 and June 1-July 31.
- If you submit a given announcement a third time, there must be a gap of at least two weeks between the first appearance and third appearance.
- Select "My Announcements" to see all of the announcements you have submitted. You can edit submissions that have not yet been distributed. Note that editing a submission that has already been approved, will change its status back to Pending and must be moderated again.